Monday, October 26, 2009

The GREAT WALL






The Great Wall of China was my best experience of my time in China. There are rebuilt sections in Badaling, very touristy, but I was able to do a 10 km trek on the Great Wall from Jinshanling to Simatai (130km NE of Beijing) over the original wall. The wall was begun 2000 years ago during the Qin dynasty essentially to keep the Mongols out of southern areas. The trek passes 24 towers, some in total ruin, some in surprisingly great condition. The trek takes 3+ hours and you cross a suspension bridge to Simatai at the end. Some sections are a bit precarious with 70 degree slopes and steep ascents and slippery descents. All in all it is one of the most amazing experiences I have had.

This concludes my blog for China and Beijing. I hope you enjoy seeing this interesting country through my eyes. Feel free to leave a comment or send an e-mail.

Zaijian,
Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment